View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
DiesOutHere
DiesOutHere began at the beginning.

Device: Sony-505, iPhone
Ah, the fire ants. They were all over Austin when we lived there. My husband had never seen or heard of them before and the conversation went something like this:

Him: Honey, look at this. The ants are red here.
Me: Yeah, those are fire ants. [goes on with life because ants are no big deal to a Texas girl]
Him [looking horrified]: FIRE ants??!!

I've noticed that what I read reflects what I need in my life right then. For instance, when I start PA school this fall, I will be swamped with learning. So, in my scraps of free time, I will probably go for complete brain candy, like the Harry Potter series. When life is non-stressful, I prefer books that make me think. When I'm dealing with something extremely challenging in my life, I read epic fantasy. I end up saying to myself, "Look, Nancy, if Frodo could drag that stupid ring all the way to Mount Doom, surely you can manage to [get an A on an exam, finish filling out PA school applications, finalize Science Fair projects with kids, etc]". Right now, I'm getting divorced, so I keep reading that stupid Twilight series and Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series. I guess I need to feel loved unconditionally right now.

I purchased my friend's old Sony 505 (blue, of course!) when she upgraded to the 700. The reader, case, and the 124 books on it cost $200. Much cheaper, smaller, convenient, and immediate than the Kindle. Though I still want one of those . I'm not really running any software for it because I have a Mac, so I haven't found a way to make it play nice with my computer.

I also have an iPhone, so I run both Stanza and the Kindle app on it. When I can't tote around the Sony, I'm perfectly happy to entertain myself with those. Oh, but to find a way to integrate everything so I don't have to have multiple copies of books in all different formats! Or if one of them could become the market standard already! Better yet, they could get together and create some kind of hybrid device that combines what I love about both of them.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I'm glad to be here!
DiesOutHere is offline   Reply With Quote