View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
The third novel in my series has been so far the most difficult yet. (I'm about 32k words in, expecting it to go 150k.) I know more about what I want to happen in this than I did my first two, and yet I'm finding it hard to find the way I want to tell it.

I keep reminding myself of advice I saw from Neil Gaiman about being a writer - an article with lists of rules from various well known authors, it was Gaiman's that stood out because he said it all so simply. I don't have the link to hand but the first rules in his list were all effectively the same: Write! A later rule said: Finish what you start.

That advice is what got me through the first books, and what I'm hoping will get me through the next ones. Nothing happens for me unless I write. The story goes nowhere until I get in there with my characters. It could be just me, but that's why Gaiman's first rules struck a chord for me.

Also, I tend to be schizophrenic about my writing. One day I won't like what I've done, the next day I will. This was especially bad with my first book. And yet, when I finally got the end and read back over it I thought: Hey, that works. It wasn't Shakespeare, but it was what I wanted it to be. And once I had the completed story I had something I could really work on and polish and adjust. And that's why Gaiman's later rule still rings in my head, I would never discovered if the story worked if I hadn't finished it.

Not that I've actually finished everything I've started, but since reading that advice I try to give everything at least a good chance. Some things just refuse to move.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote