View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #83
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteob View Post
I am sorry but I would not pay this for a chromebook. It is the most restrictive machine out there in what you can run on it due to its walled garden.
Restrictive, yes, in that you can't run Windows or Mac software on it, or indeed iOS or Android apps, but that's kind of the point - to push the delivery of applications out to the cloud. But walled garden?

While the chrome store itself is an option for apps, I don't see how you can describe this concept as being in a walled garden. The chromebook is based around an industry-standard browser which gives you access to web apps and HTML5 cloud-based services from any provider.

For example, Kindle's web version direct from Amazon would run, or leading industry solutions such as SalesForce. To dismiss such powerful web applications as 'net-browsing' is to close your eyes to what a browser can achieve.

I can see the argument that a good browser on an Android tablet or the iPad would give you the same functionality while also providing a source of local apps, but I think chromebooks aren't competing with tablets. They're pitched more against netbooks and laptops running traditional OSes.

That loss of local processing flexibility is their trade-off for ease-of-maintenance and a simple front end, as Google are reinforcing with their advertising campaign. Where your own needs fall on that scale will ultimately determine whether a chromebook would work for you.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 02-24-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote