View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #745
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
Create a fonts folder under the program folder, windows example:
Code:
c:\myprogs\coolreader\fonts
And copy your desired TTF or OTF fonts to that folder.
Thank you, that worked. The windows version I downloaded, did not even have an installer, rather came as something like a portable folder. I created a fonts folder inside that and coolreader picked it up. (I don't know why the installed system fonts are not available by default)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
It does seem the desktop versions are not as polished as the android version. Also, the Linux desktop version has a flaw where you must run as root in order to save or update app settings. General book reading can be done under a normal account.
Not at all polished. No updates etc., no rpm version for linux (only deb), the preferences window feels like archaic. And the linux bug is a joke (I spend like a week trying to figure out how to make changes stick, finally got the answer from this forum).

But even with all these flows, coolreader excels in performance. Superfast and responsive. Calibre will take like hours to open some docs. and coolreader will open it in the blink of an eye. The 2-page reading, formatting options (white letters on black background) and marking chapters in the scrollbar etc. are awesome. There are no other applications that is even close (except calibre). I hope they spend more time on the desktop version.

Last edited by iamosam; 01-29-2013 at 07:01 AM.
iamosam is offline   Reply With Quote