View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
andrusz
andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kindle K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
The reader chooses the dictionary in accordance with the language settings of the book. This is why the Kobo Japanese dictionary pops up in case of Japanese books. In order to prevent this you can change the books settings. In your case you should set the language to Portuguese.
Good idea! I have just changed the language of my book and the dictionary works fine

Quote:
The original Japanese dictionary works internally different from the other dictionaries (and this is actually its weak point).
What I have noticed:
- old format Japanese dictionary contains UTF-8 encoded filenames in the dicthtml-ja.zip file. But the files (descriptions) are encrypted:

- new format Japanese dictionary contains Shift_JIS encoded (this is my guess - I cannot verify it) filenames in the dicthtml-ja.zip file. The files, however, are standard UTF-8 HTML definition files (gzipped):

So it seems that changing the filenames in your dictionary from UTF-8 to Shift_JIS should "convert" translation dictionary to Japanese dictionary The "words" index file is UTF-8 uncoded in both dictionary versions (the file is exactly the same, in fact) so it does not need to be changed.

Quote:
Finally I have added japdict01 as a new dictionary jap-eng.
Quote:
How did you do this?
You just have to put a dictionary file do dict folder with a proper name, e.g. dicthtml-ja-en.zip. That's all It will not be listed in the Settings screen but will be shown as "Translation dictionary" while reading a book.

If you want the dictionary to be also shown in the Settings screen you need to add a line to "Dictionary" table in KoboReader database (values similar to other installed dictionaries, except "Suffix" column and "Name", of course).

Quote:
If the language of a book is defined as Japanese (and you cannot or do not want to change it) the reader (usually?) does not offer you any translation dictionaries.
This is a limitation of the Kobo firmware, IMHO. It will not offer a translation dictionary even if you remove Japanese dictionary

Quote:
I would recommend using japdic01 and japdic02 both as definition dictionaries rather than one as translation dictionary (I personally opted for Spain and Dutch).
[...]
Another advantage of having both defined as translation dictionaries is that in some situations it is easier to change from one translation dictionary to another translation dictionary as it is to change from a definition dictionary to a translation dictionary.
You are right!

Last edited by andrusz; 11-30-2012 at 06:15 AM.
andrusz is offline   Reply With Quote