View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #233
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessangel View Post
Also you Surface users... how is the handling of files in win8 RT? I mean, like windows or a mixture of iOS (with files for each app) and windows?
I'd describe it as a combination of Android-like file structure and the old Windows systems.
You can go to the desktop, use Windows explorer and browse your file structure. A lot is well recognized, you've still got your "Windows" or "Program Files" folder. But: If you go to "Uninstall Programs", you don't find any of your apps. You un-install them within the Windows 8 tiles, not within the Desktop.
And if you use the Desktop explorer, lots of files are hidden. Of course you can make them visible, but still it's not my way to go.
I've installed some file explorers for the Windows 8 tiles structure. It takes some time to getting used to them. But then you work as you did before.
Huge advantage to iOS: You're totally free to manage your files. Move them around, copy them to or from your SD card and open them with the app of your choice.
I'd say, it's less free then the old Windows systems. And it's a bit less intuitive and consistent. But way ahead of iOS. And even ahead of Android.

Standalone files, such as documents or movies, can be processed like I want them to. Not much room for improvement there.
Program files are a bit different. You don't have your installation files and de-installation procedures. But if you install any app from the store, you can follow the respective files, it's more transparent than iOS of course.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote