View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 03:12 AM   #210
camtosh
Enthusiast
camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.camtosh writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo touch
In the 1990s, I was a tech writer for a vendor company for IBM, where desktop PCs were the next big thing. One engineer showed me a clunky handheld box that he said was a prototype for an e-reader they were experimenting with.... meh, I had my doubts. Who would want to give up paper to squint at a green screen?
But ffwd to e-ink and my Kobo Touch--now I can't live without it!
Mobilereads was invaluable after I bought my KT this summer. I had just got used to the thing when the firmware was updated to a very buggy one. Many kind souls on the Kobo forums pointed me to the down-version files, and instructions to load, and soon I was happily reading without slow page turns.
Since then, I have also found plenty of free books to read on the epubs download forums. I am also especially glad to have heard about Hugh Howey and his Wool Omnibus, which I bought from Amazon and read on my iPhone Kindle app. I am reading way more than I was on paper, so what they say about the move to ebooks is true: people will read lots more if they can do so on their handy devices.
And a great big hug to KOVID GOYAL and his Calibre software that keeps my library all in order. Lastly, thanks to everyone on Mobilereads who posts with tips, advice and how-tos for us newbies. Humbly appreciated. The Deals and Freebies forums are wonderful too. thanks everyone! Now trying to choose whether to buy a Glo or a Paperwhite for me son this Christmas....

ps: Congratulations on your first decade, Mobilereads! May there be many more.

Last edited by camtosh; 11-05-2012 at 03:14 AM. Reason: add ps!