View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #15
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Nick, if I understood you right, you want to categorize tools by device... but this is exactly what we're trying to avoid by creating the new parent forum. Often if not most of the time, tools are format-, but not device-specific. The new forum parent should be the place to discuss the most prominent e-book tools here; the subforums shouldn't be linked to specific devices, or we'll encounter even more difficulties as new e-readers enter the market.
I think what would be appropriate is to organise the sub-forums by popularity first; the more popular software with its own subforum.

And then for the lesser known (popular) software that IS device specific, to be "lumped" together as part of that device specific subforum. Being device specific is tied to being a specific format in the case of .IMP and .LRF; but not for .PRC.

Any lesser known (popular) software that IS NOT device specific could go to a Misc sub-forum.

Now the hard part is defining "popular"; but I guess the user base can voice their opinions here if their software is missing from your sub-forums list.

Your idea of listing these tools in a non-device specific way works primarily for the mobipocket format and not for the Sony or eBookwise formats, so I think a combination of popularity and device specific formats can co-exist as a criteria for the sub-forum list.

We need to flush out the contenders for this sub-forum list, so from my prospective, I nominate:
  • PDFRead
  • Mobi2IMP
  • Using perl scripts to produce .IMP ebooks

Kovidgoyal has already confirmed his affirmation of a Calibre sub-forum and the Mobiperl sub-forum is an obvious choice.

What else belongs there? Anyone care to suggest anything not yet apparent from discussions in this thead?
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote