View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
dz1
dz1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre just destroyed my hard drive data

Just had a very bad experience using this Calibre program. I have been using it for years to convert files without having any problems until now.

It happened when I ran the program and clicked on the "books" menu button at the top of the screen. A drop down menu appears with various options. I picked the option that says delete library > desktop. The next thing i know is the hard drive starts making noises for about a minute. I think to myself it's just getting rid of all the books i have accumulated, which is what i expected it to do. So then i go over to my desktop and see this [edited] Calibre program has deleted nearly everything i had on my desktop irrespective of whether the files were ebooks or not. Nearly all my photos, videos, music, data etc were gone. I look in the recycle bin and they're not even there. All gone in an instant.

After i recovered from the shock i downloaded a free hard drive recovery program from the net and set about trying to recover all the stuff that was gone. I got back most of what calibre deleted.

I wanted to warn people about the behaviour of this program and would like to know if there are any alternatives to using this program.

Last edited by netseeker; 05-04-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: moderation edit
dz1 is offline   Reply With Quote