View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 10:09 AM   #16
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I would finally note that not all knowledge sources are available in ebook fashion (i.e., digitized in the broader sense, not just in relation to our readers) and for researchers -- historians, archaeologists, etc. -- there is no substitute for the original item. Consequently, knowing how to use pbooks is an important skill.
I'd have to say that when the information is available in digital format, though, it is a better research tool. I like to think that one day I will have a library of p-books and a corresponding, identical ebook library to match. Think about utlilizing something like Google Desktop to search every document on your computer (and/or network). You find anything from any book you own almost instantaneously. At the same time, I think you're right to say that knowing how to find your way through p-books is "an important skill." This is obviously true since so much has yet to be digitized. However, I don't think p-books make better reference material.

I, too, love the collectability of books, though. And in terms of monetary worth, a physical product will always be worth more. I think your kids will thank you in the future for teaching them to respect p-books. But don't go too hard on them. I spent much of high school reading tons of ebooks because I didn't have the means to get them any other way.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote