View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #29
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameli View Post
Is there some difference between them in actual reading experience? Is one better to read, change pages faster or something? After all 99% of time with reader I would use to actually read so reading experience is the most important thing.
Hardware
- Both use the same hardware manufactured by the same company.
- PocketBook 360 has plastic lid that can be snapped to the front of the device - to protect display during transport, or to the back of the device - so you can put it away safely during reading.
- Some people complain that two big page turning butons on PocketBook 360 are rather stiff and loud when clicking. (see last (**) point) I personally, as a PocketBook 360 owner, do not find this a problem, but you should be informed.

Software
- Pocket Book 360 has wider configuration options. It will appeal to somebody who likes to set all possible options to his exact tastes.
- Cybook Opus is simpler, better suited for somebody who is uncomfortable with computers.
- I do not know if I would recommend PocketBook 360 to somebody that can "get lost" in too many features (*) (for such an user Sony Reader PRS-300 or Kindle or the new Kobo reader might be the perfect device)

Reading.
- it is said that Cybook Opus has the best e-pub viewer.
- on the other hand, many users (including me) read e-pubs on PocketBook in FBReader application. You can configure, tune, tweak and tinker with every aspect of book display(**). You can set font (even use other than ttf files), set size (with the step 1 point), set margins, justification, hyphenation, line distance, switch off status line, you can override any e-pub formatting to your taste.

(*) - somebody that can not learn of how to send / read an SMS message using his own mobile phone, somebody that can not insert a new name and number to the list of contacts on his mobile phone, even if you show him / her patiently how to do that at least 30 times. There are MANY such people. (Hi mum! )

(**) - this is only for DRM-free books
(**) - you have to install third-party version of FBReader to get all the configuration options
(**) - as a bonus you get option to turn the page just by tilting the reader - without clicking buttons
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote