Thread: Seriousness Suffering is part of life
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I don't know that suffering is the definition of life but would we really value the achievement if there wasn't a struggle to reach it? For example say someone wanted to be a millionaire and someone else just came along and gave them a million dollars, would the money have any real meaning then? Oh sure it might buy a lot of things, but having to work for something gives it value beyond what the world sees it as having. So I think that while suffering might not define life it does add value to our achievements.
I think that the idea that suffering adds value to achievement is patent BS. Should I be less proud of my children because I haven't suffered in making them (in fact I seem to recall that part was enjoyable!) or bringing them up? Less importantly, I'm proud of my achievements at work. None of them caused me suffering.

We might be straying into P&R territory, but this smacks of religious nutjobbery to me - Jesus suffered for us, so any achievement without suffering is devalued, right? Sorry, if you want to make yourself miserable by believing that, then go ahead, but don't expect anybody else to buy into it.

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 10-02-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote