View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Missed the nominations this month, so here are my thoughts while sifting through the candidates:
  • Cloud Atlas: already in my TBR pile, so yeah, will probably vote for it
  • Ubik: Not a fan of psyhic stories unless the setting is a purely fantasy universe: wizards, magic, etc. Telepathy, telekinesis, they're too anti-scientific. I can imagine humans evolving a mild empathic ability based on chemical excretion & reception -- we have pheremones already -- but that's it. I'll tolerate telepathy in a science fiction story if the story is otherwise exemplary. Justin Cronin's "The Passage" is a recent one.
  • Beggars in Spain: Those who require no sleep are outcasts. Isn't sleeplessness a trait one can easily hide? Today, some people need only four hours of sleep. Surely a sleepless person can pretend they sleep 4 hours/night. Especially easy if you live alone or with only your spouse & family (who are in on the secret).
  • The Quantum Thief: "mind burglar", "steal their thoughts". Blech. However, very well rated and a nominee for a Locus Award. Probably worth reading despite those aspects.
  • Day of the Triffids: One of those titles that I feel I ought to read but probably never will. As the description says, better to approach this one as fantasy rather than science fiction.
  • Deathworld: more psionics. *sigh* On the other hand, I'll give almost any Hugo Award nominee a try.
  • Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?: Dick's short stories have made great films but not always the greatest reading. Last one I read was The Minority Report. Not bad, but I liked the movie better.
  • Summer of Love, A Time Travel: Looks like a fun mix of cultural anthro and sci-fi/fantasy. (I don't claim to be consistent in my tastes.)
  • Armageddon 2419 AD: Suggests the pulp quality of Edgar Rice Burroughs' "John Carter" series, which I couldn't read past volume three or four. Silly escapism and flat secondary characters would be my guess. So many books, so little time.
  • Metropolis: Sheesh, I didn't realize this existed! I'll probably pair a reading/viewing regardless of the poll's outcome, since an extended, restored edition of the film was recently made available.

I was just riffing there, so please don't take offense if I dissed your favorite book based on next to no information.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote