View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #84
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Oh yes. It is so easy now that I'm afraid to talk about it in fear that the DRM companies will change something to make it harder. It's scary how simple it is, and, if you're using Calibre anyway, then it now requires no extra steps.
Legally, sure. Some place have no laws on the topic at all, some places are working on laws to ensure that is legally protected, and even in the US, while some claim the DCMA makes it illegal, there are many legal experts who say it does not. It has, AFAIK, not been tested.
Ethically, as I said, up to the individual.
Getting the configuration and the software right is non-trivial to strip DRM. Once you do it, it is easy, but it is not for the software novice. Saying that because you strip DRM means you can read library books on the Kindle is not a selling point. The stock kindle and normal software user will not be stripping DRM. Heck many have trouble using Adobe Digital Editions at all, let alone stripping DRM from it.

So no, the Kindle is not reading epub library books unless you are a hacker. And I use hacker in the loving 1980s sense of the word that describes me as well.

Additionally for those of us who don't want to carry even a tiny second device to play music, it is very nice to have SD card on my ereader. Considering that Amazon (aka Kindle) bought Audible and promotes their support for Audio Books, you would think that an SD card expansion slot would be a no-brainer.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote