View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #57
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I'm not sure Amazon doing *one* premium model alongside three value models means they've gone Boutique.
You're right. You have to look at the entire product line...

1) entry line is a more powerful Fire featuring a 20% price drop
2) at the last entry level price, they have HD, better audio, better wifi, better battery
3) for another $50, you bump the memory
4) for another $50, you bump the screen size and the cpu

This is a pretty reasonable ramp for features added. That $300 tablet is pretty awesome for only $100 more than our KFs cost less than a month ago.

The last two models are what I would call premium. I'd have to think about spending another $200 to get 4g, but that's what it costs and a lot of people are spending $100 a MONTH for a smart phone, so what do I know?

PLUS, I can think of at lease two people who would benefit muchly from the $50 data plan. My mother-in-law has no internet access and is looking at getting one so she can do email. I have no use for 4G except when I travel. Even then I generally can find free service. On the road, though, and at some stope, I'd love to be able to use a 9" Fire to check my mail or find something or close the deal on an ebay auction. I may get one of these for my wife just so I have one in the car when we camp.

For $599, Bezos has provided a premium tablet with a very reasonable total cost of ownership. I, for one, appreciate the effort.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote