View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Post 29 readers (formerly 8+) and 54 tablets in comparison

I'm more about "collecting" readers, than actually reading ebooks .
I've got:
Sony 300
Sony 505
Sony 600
Sony 700
Sony 900
Sony T1
Cybook Gen3
Cybook Opus (white = old)
Cybook Opus (blue = new)
iRex iLiad
iRex 1000S (sold)
iRex 800S (sold)
Kindle 2
Kindle 3
Kindle DX (sold)
Kindle DX Graphite
Kindle touch
Kindle Paperwhite (2013)
Kindle Fire HD 7"
Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
nook
nook touch
nook GlowLight
nook HD
nook HD+
BeBook One
BeBook Neo
Spring Design Alex
PocketBook 360
2 x Kobo touch
Kobo Arc
Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Aura H2O
iPad 1
iPad 2 (sold)
iPad 3 (sold)
iPad mini (sold)
iPad mini Retina
iPhone 4 + iPhone 4S [only mentioning it, because it's the first iPhone model I actually like, although it's still far from being a business phone]
Dell Streak (sold)
Dell Latitude 10
Dell Venue 8 Pro
Lenovo ThinkPad 8
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" (sold)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1v
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Samsung Galaxy Note
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Toshiba Libretto W100
Fujitsu Stylistic ST6012
Microsoft Surface RT
Microsoft Surface 2
Microsoft Surface Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro 2
Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Google Chromebook Pixel (sold)
Motorola Xoom
Motorola Xoom 2 Media Edition
Google Nexus 7 (2012) (sold)
Google Nexus 7 (2013)
BlackBerry PlayBook
BlackBerry Passport
Acer Iconia
Asus Eee Pad Transformer
Asus VivoTab Smart
HP TouchPad
Sony Tablet P
Sony Tablet S
Nokia Lumia 920
Nvidia Shield Portable
Nvidia Shield Tablet
and: iPhone and iPod touch, BlackBerry and some old Pocket PCs.
Having checked out my units quite intensively, I've found lots of advantages and disadvantages, which I wouldn't have expected because of the reviews and tests I've found.
Just an example: On the iRex iLiad, I can change author's names or book titles on the fly. Very often, on my other units I'm annoyed if bookshops don't stick to naming conventions. I absolutely HATE it, when books I've bought officially on various websites sometimes for the author's name show: "Stephen King". The next time, it's "King, Stephen". Another time it's "KING, STEPHEN". I've even had this when buying an official bundle of books!
On the iRex, I can change that on the fly and even can add comments, for example "book 1/34" or something like that.
So, from time to time in this thread, I'll compare features of these units.
If anyone has got any questions or documents to compare.....

For now, 1 line per unit:

BeBook One: Rarely use it. Feels and looks "cheap" and since UnDe... doesn't have any real advantage to me.
Sony 300: Just started it for the first time. Similar to Cybook Opus, but even a little bit more appealing.
Sony 600: I'm very positively surprised. Display very much improved over Sony 700. Doesn't have Sony 300's "plastic framing", again another very elegant unit from Sony.
Sony 700: Rarely use it. Without dictionary support, the touchscreen for me doesn't have any advantage over the Sony 505, and I clearly prefer the display of the 505.
Sony 505: Has been my 2nd eInk Reader and still is one of my favorites. Excellent display, elegant and "cool" design.
iRex iLiad: Has been my 1st eInk Reader and I still love it. I don't use any 3rd party applications (anymore). But I love the standard OS, anyway. I easily can organize my files in folders. I can add thumbnails to these folders. As mentioned before, I can add comments to every single book, on the fly directly on my unit.
iRex 1000S: Rarely did use it so far. I miss some of the features of the iRex iLiad, some of them mentioned before. But having "played around" with it yesterday, I think I'll use it a bit.
Cybook Gen3: Rarely did use it so far. I don't like the buttons on the left from an ergonomical perspective. But still: A "cool" unit, I really like the thumbnail view of my Mobipocket books.
Cybook Opus: Just started it for the first time. My only 5" unit, definitely will take it with me when traveling "light".
Kindle 2: I've got it 6 weeks ago and it quickly did raise to my top 3. I can't use Whispernet over here, so I can't use the settings and my bookmarks show "1970". But this is more than compensated by the biggest source of books and usually having the lowest prices. And I LOVE the iPhone app, for a quick read when travelling.
Kindle DX: I've got it last week. After my experience with Kindle 2, I simply HAD to order the DX. It's great, but so far I haven't found the "niche" for it, yet. It's got the same features as Kindle 2. But it's a bit too bulky for travelling, but on the other hand still not big enough for some magazines or newspapers.
That's it for the moment...
Questions or documents for comparison are more than welcome...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00224.jpg
Views:	6838
Size:	673.4 KB
ID:	53967  

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-17-2014 at 07:51 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote