View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #75
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Again, there are many different ways people use laptops. Flatly claiming that an iPad, or Playbook, or Netbook, or even a smartphone can't replace a laptop, without knowing HOW people use them, is just silly.
Just curious, CommonReader, fjtorres, and Elfwreck-have you all made serious attempts to replace your laptops with an iPad?
I have said that an iPad isn't nearly as capable and powerful as a laptop. Nothing I have read here makes me retract that statement. Obviously, if you only require a fraction of the capabilities of a laptop the iPad may work very well for you. However, this does not enhance the abilities of the iPad.

Some colleagues use iPads for reading papers and documents and for receiving mails. However, the very moment productive work has to be done they are reaching for their laptops. I require a full Java runtime library for some of the business applications I have to use and the iPad doesn't offer that.

For private use it would be nice to take something like the iPad along on vacations for web surfing and for reviewing and backing up films and photos. Without expandable storage space it isn't fit for that purpose, though. During the recent short vacation my Sony DSLR produced over 60 GB of data. No problem to back that up with a cheap € 250 netbook but too much data even for the top of the line iPad.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote