View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #74
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Apple was in violation of copyright by offering to sell those apps in the first place.
Was Apple in violation or were the developers?

Re: use of tablets - I think that the whole content creation/content consumption meme should be dropped; it's really not that helpful.

I do several different things at work, many of which can be better done with an iPad than with a laptop. And some of which cannot be done with an iPad.

One part of what I do is write complex documents that may eventually be made available to the public. This I can't do on an iPad - my part is written in WordPerfect (because we have a lot of complex legacy macros) and requires access to some internal databases. When I complete my initial draft it is logged and version checked and transmitted to a proofreader and then an editor. It then comes back to me and is then usually sent (in PDF) to our in-house printers. All of these steps are documented and time stamped internally. So I do this on my desktop. I could do it on a laptop instead...but only at my desk, as I would need to be connected to the ethernet cable that is at my desk.

Another important part of what I do is discuss these documents in meetings. For this, the iPad is perfect, as I can pass it around to show a copy of any particular document from the past 10 years or so, and I can also pull up relevant rulings and cases if necessary. Of course everyone at the meeting has paper copies of the documents on the agenda, so I don't need the iPad for them (and paper is better in this context anyway)..but it's not uncommon for someone to ask about a similar document from, say, 3 years ago, and it's nice to be able to pull it up, look it over, and talk about any relevant differences.

A laptop would work for this, but it would be much less convenient - typically I'll only need to look something up every second meeting or so, so I can just keep the ipad flat on the table and closed - but if I need to look something up, it's nice that it is instant-on, and that I can pass it around.

Another important thing I do is answer e-mails; sometimes by writing a short response, sometimes by writing a 3 page response, and sometimes by making a phone call. While I'll usually write the longer responses at my desk, the short ones are easy enough to do on my iPad (or phone, for that matter).

In addition to the instant on, it also helps that it is so light and small - I tend to just stick carry it in an expandable file rather than carry a laptop, case, and power supply along.

I think that there are a *lot* of jobs similar to this, where the iPad would be as good as or superior to a laptop, since many people do not do work requiring a laptop's full power.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote