View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top100EbooksRank View Post
I think it's the opposite.

I have a feeling that she will earn at least $100,000 from this novel in the next few years.

Total expenses: $1,827.00

First month royalties: $18,415.79
Second month royalties: I'll be VERY surprised if she doesn't earn at least $10,000 in her second month. The book is still selling very well.
Correct.

First of all, $120k is for three books. So it is $40k per book.
Second, the money gets split into (at least) two payments per book; on acceptance and on publishing. Some current contracts split the per-book payments 4 ways and the last three aren't guaranteed. They can choose not to print with no penalty if they change their mind.
Third, it takes 18 months for the first book to reach market.
Fourth, the agent gets 15%. That brings the first book income to $34k of which she would only see $17k this year.

Going indie means she makes at least as much money, quicker, and retains full control of the copyright.

Even if sales decrease dramatically she's already ahead of the tradpub game.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote