View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 03:04 AM   #9
Kindle Addict
kindict
Kindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo, iPad, Nook
I wouldn't call it 'no contest' if you expand your options to include the Nook. I have a Kindle2, Kobo, iPad, and now a Nook, and I have to say, I'm most impressed by the Nook.

It depends on your particular situation: do you purchase all of your books, or are you planning on borrowing books from your local library via Overdrive? If so, then the Kindle is a pain, since all the books you borrow have to be un-DRMed and converted (and PDFs don't always convert all that well). If you buy all of your books, you can still buy from Barnes and Noble internationally, but Amazon does have the best selection of all the sellers (although usually not for Canadians due to publishing restrictions). The Kindle's 3G does work internationally, while the Nook's 3G does not (although it can be hacked to do so).

The Kindle's navigation is a bit painful, which is where the Nook's color display really comes in handy. My only complaint is that the Nook's battery seems to last for 2-3 days, whereas the Kindle and Kobo's battery lasts for a couple of weeks.

The Kobo initially seemed 'beta', but a recent software update made it 'better'. Still navigation is painful, and there's no connectivity other than USB. It is small and light - maybe too light, as it feels a bit 'cheap' compared to the Kindle and Nook. For the same price the Kindle and Nook blow the Kobo away.

If you are technically-minded, the Nook can be softrooted (since it just runs Android), which means that a good selection of third-party applications are available. I'm not sure of the Amazon third-party developer situation, but I signed up as a developer in January, and I've barely heard a peep! There are some mods can be deployed on the Kindle (fonts, screensavers, etc.), and I haven't seen any Kobo mods at all.

The Nook may be a bit tough to find in Canada, but with so many people travelling to the US for holidays, you should be able to find someone who is willing to stop by a B&N and pick up a Nook. If you are not considering a Nook, then the Kindle3 is the way to go.

Last edited by Kindle Addict; 08-02-2010 at 03:07 AM.
Kindle Addict is offline   Reply With Quote