View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

BTW, I bought a Nexus 7.2 this past week to use with my Canon EOS 60D DSLR. It has USB host capability whereas the Kindle Fires and iPad/iPhone do not. It runs Android 4.3. I haven't installed very many apps as I will be using the iPad3 for my main tablet.

Last night (Saturday) we had some severe thunderstorms come through, so I tried to use my Nexus 7.2 with a few weather and radar apps. None of the apps worked well at all. Slow to update from the internet, glitchy, lackluster performance. Meanwhile the iPad3 and iPhone5 were humming along without issues and the same weather/radar apps worked wonderfully. Thankfully the Nexus 7.2 is good at reading and controlling my dSLR camera. But even with Android 4.3, the Nexus 7.2 is a disappointment as far as most of the apps I run. Or perhaps I should say Android 4.3 is a disappointment.

I volunteer as storm spotter (not a chaser) for the Fort Worth office of the NWS. As such I need reliable equipment such as amateur band (ham) radios, computers, tablets, phone, car, etc. Everything performed wonderfully except the Android Nexus. Quite frankly, it let me down big time.

There is no time to mess with glitchy equipment when out in severe thunderstorms and trying to monitor radio communications and radar data. It can be dangerous. So I need highly reliable equipment and software. I found out last night that Android and the Nexus 7.2 are not reliable enough whereas iOS is. Thankfully I had my iOS devices with me. iOS7 might not look like we would want it too, but it does work and it works quite well and dependably.