View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
Self-pub thread thoughts?

(Note to mods-- if this doesn't belong in this forum, could it stay up for a couple of days before being moved, since the discussion originated in this forum?)
A post by Piperclassique in the "Free, Bargains...mystery" thread started by Nightbird leads me to this post....
It seems certain that there is lots of dreck in the self-pub mill. Just as certainly, there are gems lurking. The OP of the previously mentioned thread isn't comfortable with self-pubs being listed in that thread, and I understand and respect that.
I like the idea of sharing information about what might be worth a read-- the prices for self-pub books are usually reasonable, and a lot of them show up regularly as freebies. I like the idea of giving a self-pub author a chance to impress me, if I don't have to wade through all the badly written stuff to do so!
I think it's bad form to hijack Nightbird's original thread to discuss this, so....
...any discussion of format for a thread would be appreciated!

I would suggest that one should have actually read the book (or another book by the author, or at least read part of the book, or know someone they trust who's read it?) to list it. (Not just mentioning that it's got favorable Amazon reviews.)

Open to multiple genre's? or limited to?? If open to multiple genres, the genre should be mentioned early in the post. (I don't know if there's enough fodder to justify separate self-pub threads limited to a single genre.)

And to qualify as "deals, freebies", etc., does the book need to be at a reduced price, or just a low-enough price to qualify as a bargain?
(Or, following another suggestion, should a thread of this type be located in the "recommendations" forum?)

Certainly any self-pub freebie or deal can already be posted in this forum under it's own thread, and a number seem to be well-received by members. I know that some members have NO interest in self-pubs, most of us are skeptical of same, and a few seem to thrive on them.

I'll admit that I've got a few self-pubs waiting on my TBR list, and I keep intending to read & share my reaction.

(Thanks, Piperclassique & Sufue for bringing this up!)

KentE
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote