View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Adding a map to a book -- need advice

I'm in the process of preparing a new omnibus of two of my novels, and I'm facing an issue I haven't dealt with before: incorporating a map into an ebook. I have a couple of questions:

1. The technical process of getting it into the ebook. Generally I work from Word, save to filtered html, and import that into Calibre for conversions. If I add the map jpg in Word, can I expect it to survive the export and import process? Are there any special tricks to getting it through that process into the actual ebook?

2. Assuming I can manage (1), what do people think about a map appearing in landscape vs portrait mode? My map is properly viewed in landscape mode, and my first thought was to add it to the book sideways, so that someone reading the book could simply turn the reader sideways to see the map to best advantage. That would work on my Sony Reader, for example.

But as I got to thinking about it, I wondered what would happen for people reading on, say, an iPad, or any device that automatically switches mode when the device itself is turned. If I do that, will a user be forever turning the device, only to have the image switch orientation, so that the only way to view it is by turning his or her head sideways?

I'm at something of a loss on this. But surely other people have figured it out by now. Yes?

Thanks in advance.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote