View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
Patricia Ryan
Connoisseur
Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle, iPad
I'm about 100 pages from the end, and really enjoying it. I've written about vampires myself, and researched them ad nauseam (there are vampire-type myths the world over), and I've often wondered, hm... if the mythology is actually based on something real--some real creature--what would it be? Cronin answers that question brilliantly. He takes the not-so-new idea that a virus causes vampirism and gives it such a credibly treatment that you can almost believe these things really exist.

The first third is spectacular storytelling, really pacy and gripping. The middle third needed the hand of a good editor; it's longer and slower than it needs to be. (In fact, it truly reads as if it was written by two or more different authors. I'm not saying it was; it just reads that way.) Stick with it, though, because it picks up again.

There are some inconsistencies and things that just don't make sense, but I've been able to set those aside, which means he must be doing something right.

And by the way, I do want a Team Babcock T-shirt.
Patricia Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote