View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 01:17 PM   #13
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Well...

* * * MILD SPOILER ALERT * * *

See there were enough comments about the elongated necks plus remember that at first Johanna thought they looked much more like giant rats (R.O.U.S. anyone? hehe) than dogs. So I really made myself stop and picture them instead of falling into picturing medium sized dogs. By the end of the book there I really wanted to have a long conversation with Peregrine (the Pilgrim) because he would be so fascinating to talk with.

Oh and totally branching off the main conversation here (forced pun, watch for it!) how 'bout the Skroderiders? I've never been so emotionally involved with a rolling, talking plant! I realized several times that I kept picturing them too small! What sold that point strongest to me was near the very end of the book...

* * * HEAVIER SPOILER * * *

...when Blueshell carried Amdijefri (all 8 members of Amdi's pack plus Jefri) on his skrode. That really tells you just how big the Skroderiders must be. I kept picturing these little potted ferns that were only a couple feet tall, but these guys have to be more like 5 feet or more tall *plus* the height of the skrode and the width has to be at least 5 feet square I'd think, maybe more. I don't remember Vinge ever telling us exact dimensions though.

* * * END SPOILERS * * *

Ok enough rambling for me
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote