View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
I would look into tablets and LCD e-readers. As far as I know, there aren't any straight e-ink ereaders that will allow you to reverse the background to black, and text to white. But with tablets, there's an abundance of apps for both accessibility, and ereading.

I would be seriously shy of buying a tablet of any kind for under $125 - I've never seen one with even half-way decent reviews. Tablets that cheap have serious problems - terrible screens, wonky half-broken hardware, etc. Don't get a tablet that costs that little. You get what you pay for.

But there are some good options in the $250-and-under range. There's obviously the Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox, and Nook tablet, but honestly, these all have a hampered app store and other limitations, and you can get a tablet with full capabilities for the same price (and you can install the Kindle, Kobo, Nook, or any other ereading apps on any tablet).

The Lenovo IdeaPad A1 has good reviews, and is $200. For about 50 bucks more, the HTC Flyer and Acer Iconia Tab are also good options. My dad has a Dropad A8 which is about $170. It's a decent, solid little tablet, but it's got a pretty old Android OS on it and obviously the specs are a little dated now. Still, if you really want to trim the costs, it's a decent option. All of the ones I've named are 7-inch.

Like I said, you can install the app for virtually any ereader on any tablet, and you can access their store. You can also find apps for accessibility that will help him be able to read more easily. That's the nice thing about getting a full-blown tablet - you have a lot more choice. And like I said, all of those I name above cost about the same as the LCD ereaders.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote