View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Good to hear!

I had a lot of false starts when I started: things that seemed interesting at the start, but that just sort of faded out and didn't hold even my interest (so there was no hope of holding anyone else's). Then a scene came to me (I have no idea where from) and I started writing in an effort to explain it to myself, and even when the writing was not going well I couldn't leave it alone. Without that compulsion/obsession I doubt if I would have had what it took to get through all the difficult times that come with trying to write, and there have been a lot of them.

That is not said to try and put you off ... more to suggest that you try to let the story take you where it will, let it get hold of you. In that way, if/when it starts to get difficult you are more likely to have what it takes to work past it - because when it goes well it's a real buzz. And, as my earlier experiences taught me, if this one doesn't keep hold of you then have faith that another might (but don't give up too quickly on any idea with promise).

I'm not a words-per-day person myself, but everyone's different. Find what works you - and be prepared for it to change over time.

Best of luck with it. I hope it goes well for you.

Last edited by gmw; 12-07-2012 at 05:43 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote