View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 01:17 AM   #1856
FaceDeer
Connoisseur
FaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Looks like I got to it first--attached is a version that incorporates my version of your changes.
Aww, you beat me by like half a day. Tonight I had free time. Guess I'll use it testing, then.

Seems to be working correctly, I reran a bunch of updates and got the same results as my version. This code does break when trying to collect metadata for a story with *no* chapters (for example, this one) but that's not unexpected. FFDL already choked on those, it's just giving a different error message with this new version (previously such fanfics would fail to update with an error message that simply read "'chapters'"). It never even occurred to me to report this as a bug before, I have no idea what the correct behaviour should be for a case like this. Just thought I'd mention it since this version changes the previous behavior slightly.

I've got my own solution to detecting updated stories where authors have edited or inserted chapters earlier on. I have separate columns for both FiMFiction's *reported* word count and the word count calculated locally via the word count plugin, and a third column that compares the two. When a metadata update results in a significant difference between the two I check it out and see if it needs a forced overwrite to include edits. It's very rare, coming up with a system like that was more for fun than real necessity.