Thread: Kobo Tweaks
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
ah-
Connoisseur
ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Tweaks

Since I recently updated my Touch to 2.4.0 and missed my beloved adblocker, I fixed up Kobo Tweaks and got it running again. Many thanks to ikarus9999 for the updates for firmware 2.x, they were really helpful.

It's still a bit rough, but I think it's already useful and I'd rather release this now than letting it rot away on my harddrive again.

So, what's new?
  • Improved plugin loading. It should work with SD cards and in the future also load automatically. It actually already worked automatically and is already loaded on boot, but Kobo improved the home screen so you need to open something and go back to the homescreen before anything there is changed.
  • Nice GUI to setup everything. I actually had this sitting around for more than half a year, but now it's actually in there . Due to the new homescreen behavior you might have to reboot for now to see some changes. Also, the menu customization is yet to come.
  • Major code cleanup. This is probably not very visible to you but means that it's fun again to work on it .

I took the great idea of custom commands from the other plugin, but implemented it using QtScript, since that's already included with Qt. This means that the syntax slightly changed:
Quote:
[CustomCommands]
Reboot=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"busybox reboot\")
Note that you have to escape the " like this: \”. Oh, and the filename changed to kobotweaks.ini to avoid a name clash.

There's more to come as I find some more time to work on it. I'm especially thinking about some way to better integrate the weather display, chess, etc. applications with nickel. Maybe it's possible to start an external application and display just a white (or black) screen so it can use the display (but keep nickel running) until some signal is received that the application terminated.

Also, the Qt based applications should be able to integrate directly with nickel just as the settings do. Oh yeah, and about the settings, I have no idea how well they fit on the larger screens. I designed them before the Glo even existed.

Download: http://andreas.heider.io/kobo/tweaks-13-02-18.zip
The source is at https://github.com/ah-/koboplugins
ah- is offline   Reply With Quote