View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #86
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereadingdotcom View Post
Hi, Crich...

Gee, I find myself potentially putting my foot in my mouth here. I've personally worked with a number of New York Times bestselling authors, so I must be more careful what I say.

Let me put it this way: Yes.

Caveat: But not always. When they're really good, they need virtually no editing.

Caveat Part II: Oh, and new authors are very often willing to go above-and-beyond to follow editorial direction. It's the occasional one with an ego the size of a Pullman car that are really tough to deal with.
Caveat Part II sounds like a problem that occurs in a lot of businesses. There's always someone new who thinks they know the job better than someone who has been in the business (whatever it is) for a far longer time. I imagine one thing most editors need is a thick hide and a large amount of patience when dealing with authors who have that mentality.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote