View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #16
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I agree about too long TOC being a pain. My first book (>140k words) was 21 chapters and split into two parts. On the print edition that sits nicely on 1 page, but on the e-book edition I could see potential issues: both the length and the two-level aspect. The two levels worked on my e-reader but I didn't like it - especially since the prologue comes before Part 1, it just didn't look right to me.

So when I created the epub I made sure the parts were not part of the ncx - resulting in a flat index. Yes it skips the part selection when using the e-reader TOC feature, but I thought that was more practical to use. (The parts remain visible on the TOC page at the start of the book, and as separator "pages" in the content.) I will be curious to see if I get any feedback about that particular aspect.

Chapter titles are interesting too. As a reader I don't really have much of an opinion either way - sometimes they're sort of neat/cute, but I don't really care if they're not there. But when I started writing this project I decided to use chapter titles, mostly because the chapters in my first book seemed to come by their titles fairly naturally - most were written with the title already in place. My problems really came with the second book (and since it's part of the same series I wanted to retain the same style) where I had to work a bit harder to get titles I was happy with (it's amazing how much work you can end up putting into a single word). I've yet to find out how it's going to come out with the third.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote