View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 12:48 PM   #14
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
igorsk forgot to mention that you also have to change the Compatibility setting for "CONNECT Reader.exe" after you've extracted the files. Set it to Windows XP (right-click the exe, Compatibility tab).

thanks, Igorsk. I was trying to use the MS Application Compatibility Toolkit on msiexec, but that didn't quite work. It's pretty funny that the CONNECT store doesn't need any registry settings, but breaks when moved from xp to 2k3. Either it's doing some advanced low-level disk formatting, virus scanning, and port sniffing, or it's programmed by a retard.

btw, the copyright says "Original application software and design by Kinoma (www.kinoma.com)." If you go to their webpage, it turns out to be three guys. Who peddle some video player for palm pilots.

I have nothing against trios of men, but it's pretty clear sony invested as little as it could. And has chosen to continue investing even less despite the Reader turning out a success.

harryt, please do a little less supposing, nay saying, and unjustified justifying

jswolf, connect reader is not a pos because of the amount of bugs it has (it is actually a little polished, and that is it's saving grace), it is a pos cuz of the way it was designed and the number of features it has. Given that it only does precisely three things (copy files, preview files, buy files), it's a lot less intuitive and useful than it could be. I do give it points for trying to reinvent the wheel, tho (no, really, I appreciate creativity).

P.S. joblack, do you still need the files?
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote