View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
SilverBear
ἄρκτος ὁ Μέγας
SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Robert B Parker was truly one of a kind.
I loved his ability to tell a story that was an updated version of "hard boiled", but with light touches of humor in the dialog. The artistry came in when some of the "humor" Spenser was dispensing was the character's way of keeping chaos at bay --underlining the depth of seriousness of his situation. A lesser writer couldn't begin to do it without coming off as a flip jackass.

Well, I can't really describe it. You Robt. B. Parker fans know what I mean! The uninitiated will not be able to appreciate this aspect of Parker's writing until they get at least 2-3 Spenser novels under their belts.

Advice: It's not essential, but try to check copyright dates and read them in order. There aren't that many Jesse Stone novels, for example, and the meta-plot does develop.

I just a couple weeks ago read [in hardcover, not an ebook] a new addition to the Spenser canon. My public library had it in the Youth section. Parker tells the story of a teenage Spenser getting involved in his first adventure. It's good for anyone of any age, IMO.
http://www.robertbparker.net/bookpag...SBN=0399247769
SilverBear is offline   Reply With Quote