View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
I've got Chil's Notchbook case (barcode: 853933004443) which says its a "universal case for 7 inch tablets".

Honestly, I'm not sure that I can recommend the case. I've got some mixed impressions, but how much of this is my lack of familiarity with tablet accessories vs real issues, I'm just not sure.

Things that I've noticed are:
  • I've got my N7 set with a password so the magnetic case's ability to turn the device on/off doesn't apply. I also find that the magnet interferes with my password being recognized/turning on the tablet properly. (This may be a device issue, pending further research.)
  • Front cover has the fairly standard creases to allow propping the device up on a table.
  • The back has four -- loops, I guess -- to hold the device. They're very, very tight. I thought for sure I was going to rip one off while getting the N7 inside. (I didn't.)
  • Once inside, the back cover makes using the power and sound keys awkward; while the back is flat, it's also slightly larger than the device so, without a cut-out, pressing the keys is a matter of wedging a fingertip inside. Considering these keys seem to work best at a certain angle, it gets awkward to manipulate them.
  • By itself the cover isn't very heavy, but with the tablet inside I do tend to notice the weight more. But then, the tablet seems to get heavier after holding it awhile too!
  • The notch in the product's title is a well placed, and spaced, cut in the bottom third of the spine of the case. You can slip your hand inside it, between thumb and fingers. Similar to reading a paperback with one hand -- thumb holding the cover open, fingers supporting the back cover. An additional magnet keeps the notch closed when it's not needed.
  • Despite the above, the case seems very well suited to reading and viewing content of any kind.
  • Where the case seems lacking are games which have on-screen controls or that make use of the hardware keys.
  • One feature I wish was present was some means of including or attaching a stylus. While I don't have particularly wide fingers, I do notice fingerprints and smudges accumulate. A stylus keeps the task of "polishing the tablet" to a minimum.

PS: About your magnet problem... noticed on other Android forums users have issues with the magnets slipping out of the covers.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote