View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 05:11 AM   #64
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Maybe in the US. iBooks is only available in US of A ... Fail for me.
It will not spell the end of e-ink screens (IMO) so long as it's backlit and it has battery life <10 hrs.

1. iBooks is initially US-only it says and selected countries on the apple page and video!
2. No built-in camera neither does the kindle DX
3. No USB ports neither does the kindle(i assume you mean host ports)
4. No memory card read fair point but does have much larger memory than any other ereader
5. Keyboard dock sold separately no keyboard dock available for other ereaders
6. No multi-tasking neither do other ereaders
7. No Adobe Flash support neither do other ereaders
8. Can only run Apple-sanctioned apps true
9. Can only access iTunes videos and music not sure what you mean I can pout any music or video I have that isnt DRM into itunes and other ereaders hane no access to video
10. Lacks HDMI port so do other ereaders
11. Screen is 4:3 aspect ratio, not 16:9 widescreen better for reading what aspect is kindle DX?

12. No full GPS support neither do ereaders
if you compare the iPad to larger ereaders( in red above) for me it smashes them to pieces for price and what you get! however I read on an LCD screen at work for 10 hours a day with no eye issues!

so for some the sacrifices to get a similiar sized eink screen might be worth while.

Interestingly if you compare it to a netbook or laptop of a similiar price it doesnt come across as well.

But in comparison to a Kindle DX or archos media player type device it seems very competitive to me.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote