View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 10:21 PM   #6
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle
But the PRS isn't a reference reader, it's a fiction reader, and should be judged on those qualifications.
I know what you are saying but I should point out that I'm staring at the Sony Reader box and no where does it say that it is a "fiction only" reader. It calls itself a "Portable Reader System". Searching text is not some esoteric thing. Multi-billion dollar companies were formed out of the usefulness of searching text. The Reader is basically a computer and a computer whose focus is documents should provide searching capabilities; it is really a no-brainer. Really I don't see any technical reason why searching shouldn't be possible on the PRS-500. The 0-10 buttons would make text entry as easy as most cell phones. All of the cpu expensive processing of the search could be done upfront by the computer and the connect software when the document is loaded into the reader. And I can't see the search functionality taxing the display any more than google taxes a html page.

That said, I agree there should be a PRS-1000 with a "Letter" size screen with seaching capabilities and notetaking - maybe even leave out the mp3 player on that one. I would get one of each, one for novels and one for technical documents and textbooks. Go for it Sony! Get busy.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote