View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #48
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Pixel density was an issue for me long before Apple introduced the retina display. One reason why I went with a Droid 1 when I did was the pixel density.

I read a lot of comics and magazines on my tablet, and as even a 10.1" tablet has a smaller screen than the printed page, the text is always shrunken. While there is obviously a point at which diminishing returns does kick in, higher pixel density makes small text more legible. This is particularly important in comics where the page structure can be an important part of the experience so it may be necessary to view the entire page and read the dialogue at the same time.

Higher pixel density produces crisper text which is easier to read, especially at smaller font sizes.

As for the pixel density vs. distance argument, I do hold my high density displays much closer to my eyes than I place my monitors. My main work monitor is only 90ppi, but I generally sit about 40 inches (1m) away from it, so I don't really notice the low density. I also generally bump up the text size by 50% as well.

For me, high density displays are very important and have been for years. It does make a difference.
Yes, it can make a difference. I can notice it on my Surface and Nook at times. However it's only on text that's too small to comfortably read anyway. It's a bit worse on the Nook just because I naturally tend to hold it closer since the overall size is so much smaller. All in all though, not a big deal to me. Both are better than the 19" monitors I stare at all day without issues.

Bottom line is that this is an entry-level device. Not sure why anybody expected better. It's not great, but it's not terrible either. That's the great thing about Android though. This fits a need for people with a limited budget. If you don't like it, you have plenty of other choices. I think people are mostly disappointed because like me they didn't expect something this low-end from Asus. But it's priced appropriately for what it is.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote