View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #87
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I'd add one more:

5- Advertising - letting the public know this book exists, and that it's worth their time and money.

That's the *only* aspect that indie authors will never be able to do as well as a big company... and it's the aspect publishers cut first when they're feeling strapped for cash. Over the years, they've pushed more and more of this onto the authors: Start your own blog! Schedule your own bookstore appearances! No talk shows, not even local-tv interviews, for anyone not on the NYT Bestseller list! No press releases, no attempts to get reviews in big publications, no "coming soon" announcements for the midlist.

No wonder those authors are pondering how much they can do for themselves. While print distribution is still tricky for indie authors and small publishers, it's no longer essential to an author's career. Advertising is, and will remain, crucial to a financially successful career. And publishers are failing to provide it for anyone they don't think is a superstar.
Advertising is a tricky industry. Too little and it's not effective. Too much and you drive customers away. And what you encounter depends on your personal routine. Last week I received 26 emails advertising hundreds of books. Plus what I saw on blogs, Goodreads, Overdrive, Amazon, posters at various stores, magazine and newspapers. Even a TV commercial or two. New arrivals at my public library are the product of industry advertising. Add to that what your device may recommend. It's apparent that I am heavily exposed to publisher/author marketing. In fact, I'm overexposed and wish for less advertising. Can you imagine if I actually sought out a new title to read? It's staggering to think what else businesses would throw at me.

And almost half were for indie publishers. The TV ad was William Patterson, naturally. With hundreds of thousands of title published annually it's just not possible to market every one comprehensively ... thankfully.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote