View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 10:39 AM   #53
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Ahi: bopomofo is only used in Taiwan. The Chinese use Pin-Yin, but the way they use it (no tone marks, they run the syllables together -- the city of Xian 西安 should be written as Xi An, xian -- 先 among others -- as one word is another common sound) it is not at all suitable to be as a substitute for the characters.
Thanks, Hans! I knew about bopomofo being Taiwan-based, but forgot. And yeah, I know what you mean regarding pinyin.

I guess mostly what I meant was that I'd sooner see China switch to something like bopomofo or even Hiragana-esque than to unabashed pinyin... particularly as China's star (despite all hurdles, it seems to me) continues to rise in comparison to the western world.

If they didn't switch to the latin alphabet while they had every reason to suffer from an inferiority complex, I doubt they'll do so now, being well on their way to returning to the position of being a preeminent power in the world.

- Ahi

Ps.: Do you know of any good and free (or cheap) repositories of CJK fonts, Hans? Ideally ones that cover even fairly rare characters. (i.e.: Unicode Extension B)
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote