View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #17873
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I had the advantage of devouring Victorian novels through my teens, as well as an infatuation with Victorian poets, especially Tennyson and Arnold, probably necessary to really enjoy this book. So while I likely began The French Lieutenant's Woman expecting a conventional romance, I was soon charmed by what I took to be the author's intention to portray and examine Victorian angst, manners, and culture. I loved the ending(s) and was influenced by what it all may have meant about the meaning of life as only the young can be.

I just bought it to read again. I'm curious to know what I will think of it 40+ years later.
I had a hard time trying to read The French Lieutenant's Woman back in the day; for some reason (probably immaturity) I just could not get into it. Thanks for the recommendation; I should give it another go.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote