View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #473
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
In reality the *only* thing that gets "synced" is:
(1) a goodreads identifier for a book in calibre being associated with particular shelve(s) in your user account
(2) optionally the date read, rating and comments.

There is no "syncing" of any other data about a book (e.g. title, author, series etc) - that is all "metadata download" and in the realm of the Goodreads metadata download plugin only currently (or Import List plugin) - and even then that is one way.
That doesn't seem right: Title and Author DO sync - if I don't have them in Calibre, I can choose "Add to Calibre" and it creates them (with the series) - and of course, if they _do_ exist in Calibre, it tries to match them (though I do have a bug to report about that much, if I can figure out the real problems - I get an "invalid float" error when I try to sync my "books-i-own" shelf, where very few of the books exist in Calibre and I want to create "empty" books).

Anyway, once I get a match between my Goodreads shelves and Calibre I can do a metadata download to get anything else.

I also don't think "date read, rating and comments" are optional - if I omit the first two, I'm unable to sync at all - the shelf doesn't appear in the Sync options.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote