View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
William Ockham
Enthusiast
William Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Help improve Kindle ebook formatting

I am developing some CSS snippets for KF8 to enable device detection from within Kindle ebooks. The most obvious use case for this is for authors who wish to display color graphics on the Kindle Fire family of devices while displaying greyscale graphics for the E Ink Kindles. I will be placing this CSS in the public domain when I've verified that it works properly.

I am using CSS media queries that depend on the hardware on the device. That means that I cannot test these on the Previewer and I do not have access to every KF8-compatible Kindle device. I am looking for volunteers to load the attached .mobi file on their Kindle and report the results. I have already tested this on my Kindle Keyboard, a Paperwhite, and a first gen Kindle Fire.

I'm looking for folks who have a non-jailbroken Kindle 4, Kindle 4 Touch, Kindle 5, second gen Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD 7" or Kindle Fire HD 8.9". You need to know how to sideload a .mobi file on your device.

When you open the attached file (which is the first chapter of Moby Dick), you should see something like this:

Chapter 1: Looming

This is a Kindle eInk device (K3, K4, or K5)

device pixel ratio: 1.0

device-height: 800

device-width: 600

Call me Ishmael....

Obviously, the correct device and hardware results should be displayed, i.e. if you have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9", the second line will say "This is an 8.9 inch Kindle Fire HD."

I would greatly appreciate it if a few folks would load this file and reply back to this thread with the results. I especially need to know if any devices report incorrect results. For example, the first gen Kindle Fire does not report device-height or device-width.

What do you get for participating this research? My gratitude and the warm fuzzy feeling of helping to improve the quality of Kindle ebooks. Participants will be listed in the credits (CSS comments) as testers, if they wish.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi KF8DeviceDetection.mobi (164.9 KB, 263 views)
William Ockham is offline   Reply With Quote