View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskforsome View Post
Thanks dwig and DiapDealer.

So, if I undrestood you both well, it is no possible to assign a fluid with to images with Kindlegen, isn't it?
Across all devices, no. If you know you'll be designing an ebook specifically for the Kindle Fire (and anything else that suports the KF8 format) you can specify CSS image width and height attributes. But if one is a fixed percentage, the other needs to be set to auto in order to preserve the aspect ratio of the image.

You should be able to jump through some hoops and specify the width, height attributes (in pixels) in the (x)html for the normal eInk kindle devices, and then override those html attributes with a CSS media query that would only apply to devices that support the KF8 format (like the Kindle Fire).

Code:
@media amzn-kf8 {
  img.myclass {width:80%; height:auto}
}
Kindlegen 2 will ignore that css when building the normal mobi portion, but should use the CSS (that should override html attributes) to style images of the class "myclass" when building the KF8 portion.

I say should be possible because that's the way I'm interpreting the new Kindle Publishing Guidelines. I've not tested that case specifically, but I know the media queries can be used to specify different CSS for different devices. And CSS is supposed to take precedence over html attributes.

I apologize if that was more information than you were looking for.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-29-2012 at 07:19 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote