View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 03:51 AM   #25
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I think I struggle most with perfectionism, which might sound like a joke if you consider that I am "merely" writing gay erotica (at least under this pseudonym). However, it has been a constant problem for me, one I am making inroads into, I think.

Rather than being the sort of writer who thinks his work needs no editing, I seek out beta readers and with my last novel have paid for editing. Yet still, I sat through an entire text-to-speech reading of my novel over a period of days, all 120,000 words of it, after it had been professionally edited.

It's been a while since I visited this forum, but I often visit the writers' cafe at KBoards, and the idea that you need to be publishing, and publishing often in order to succeed as a self-published author is almost universally accepted.

This doesn't necessarily lead to low standards, but (as this is about what we struggle with most) I would say it is with perfectionism, with the inability to simply let something be good enough, particularly when I am talking about gay erotica, even if the books may mean more to me than they seem to on the surface.

So - perfectionism.

I take Harry's point about the need for editing, but I think there has been a positive move in this direction. I think the more serious self-published authors are routinely paying for editing.

I'm not prepared to put a lot of time into marketing. I'm too much of an introvert and too reticent to friend and message people on various sites. So, yes, marketing is a problem too.

But finally I'd say cover design. It's very hard to get a decent looking cover that fits with your novel and looks good postage size, even if you are prepared to pay for it.

Last edited by Todd Young; 04-08-2013 at 03:53 AM.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote