View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #116
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
wow. students in other countries are so advanced ) here, we make do just fine with pen and paper. in fact, i find it works best during classes where i have to draw graphs and essentially be quick when the prof recites instead of writing on the board….
Quote:
which reminds me of the time my sister went to Singapore for her MBA. this was YEARS ago. anyway, before the first day of class, she received an email telling students to bring their "notebooks" to class. so she did bring hers, except that the email meant notebooks as in laptops. she was the only one in class with pen and paper

personally, i don't like bringing laptops to class. it's so bulky and it's hard to keep up. also, it helps me to focus when i have to write it down by myself. most students end up not paying attention if they can rely on the tech later on.
I think I'd prefer pen and paper in class now too. Good point about focus and concentration while note taking rather than being distracted by tech. I'd definitely want a laptop in the library…. Alas laptops and tablets weren't available when I went to school.

Quote:
...i couldn't quite figure out why i would need so much power that macs provide. but i hear that apple offers a student discount. is it a substantial discount?
I believe Apple's student discount is 10% off, and applies to computer and some apple software. There may be a bigger discount on apple protection plan. I don't know about iPad. I don't think student discount applies to everything available at the online Apple Store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It seems far from clear to me. The $1000 she could save by going for a mid-range Windows laptop could probably be much more usefully spent for a cash-strapped student.
Wasn't that a low-end Windows laptop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy View Post
… i agree that a brand-new 15" macbook pro is way overkill for 90% of students. but a second-hand macbook air is pretty hard to beat...
HarryT and sumguy, you're both repeating yourselves. She knows if she changes her mind she can sell the MB Pro and get something else.

Last edited by unboggling; 07-06-2012 at 03:20 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote