View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Except a legal one.

Dale
Well, *IF* the "decryption" were performed "on-the-fly" on an internal-to-FBReader file and that file weren't saved to disc - in other words, this decryption took place every single time one chose to read the ebook - I can't really see how it would violate the law. The PID would be "unique" to the user's device. The ebook would have been legally purchased. FBReader would not create a permanent "decrypted" version. Sorry, but nowhere does it say one *MUST* use Mobipocket Reader to read the Secure Mobipocket ebooks. And in point of fact, the iLiad version was created - then got approval from Mobipocket.

Now if Mobipocket wants to get all "legal" over a program designed to permanently remove the DRM so the legally-purchased ebook can be shared amongst people, I'm down on Mobipocket's side. But to be aghast at another application allowing reading - by the person who purchased the Mobi ebook - while not crushing the developers who did so for the iLiad, nope, I don't buy the argument.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote