View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
JDShaffer
Hobbit
JDShaffer began at the beginning.

Device: k2i
Root / Shell / Term / SSH / editor on a Kindle 2?

SHORT VERSION:

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I've been trying to find away to use my Kindle 2 as a simple word processor. I want to be able to type and edit files full-screen. (Currently I can type and edit annotations, but the dialog box is rather small).

How can I get root access on my Kindle 2? How can I get a terminal running? And is it even possible to port something like nano or pico to the Kindle 2?

LONG VERSION:

Quote:
Hello, everyone.

I've really enjoyed the dev forums here, despite not being much of a developer myself. I have only dabbled in linux and programming -- enough to have fun, but never enough to get anything practical made.

I noticed that some people have been getting root access and running ssh clients and terminals on their kindles, which is very exciting. But the posts are getting confusing -- I can no longer tell when people are talking about the K3 or the K2...

Personally, I REALLY want to use my Kindle 2 as a simple text editor. The best I can do right now is to add a note to a document and come back later and grab it out of "My Clippings.txt", and I suppose if the editing dialog box were bigger, that might suffice, but it's too small to do a lot of writing and editing.

So my question is --> How do I get at least a terminal on my Kindle 2? And then, is it possible to get something like nano or pico on there? I don't mind dabbling with cross compiling, though I don't know where to begin with a kindle.

Thanks, everyone!

Jeffrey

PS -- I'm not such a noob to brick my device, but am coming the the conclusion I might need to downgrade my firmware to get the USBNetworking up and running... no ;debugON in 2.5.4...

Last edited by JDShaffer; 12-12-2010 at 08:34 PM.
JDShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote