View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #12
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Well, sort of. Homes in our neighborhood, one of the older neighborhoods in town, all have wells. Built, maintained, and operated at homeowner expense. Almost all the rest of the town got municipal water. Us having wells didn't stop them, and we're not getting municipal water because we have wells and don't need it.
True. I forgot about that. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that well managed municipal water systems are safer since wells and septic systems place a greater onus upon the homeowner to test and maintain them. While some people are up to that, others are not.

Still, I think it's kinda silly to regard the Internet as an essential service (never mind a human right). There are certainly strong arguments to fund the Internet, from an economic perspective, since it is an important tool for modern businesses and provides educational opportunities. On the other hand, there wouldn't be a negative impact upon quality of life if it disappeared tomorrow. Things would have to be done differently. But different is just that: different, not worse.