View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 01:32 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasilk View Post
I have a nice, newly formatted, dedicated external drive that I want to move my Calibre files to, but when I ask Calibre to move the library to the new location in the root of the drive it fails with a "Location is not empty" message. I'm guessing that it's detecting the hidden system files there and that's what's causing the error.
Generally speaking moving your library to the root directory of any drive isn't advisable, but I can see why you might want to devote an entire external drive to your library. If you want to use calibre to move the library just point it to a new directory on that drive and you shouldn't get the error message. Having your library in a folder other than root will allow you to put more than one library on the drive. I have two a working library and a finished library.

Quote:
I can get around it by manually copying the files across and then pointing Calibre to the 'new' library, but is there a better way to approach this?
There is no better way if you want it in the root directory and there are other files there.

Quote:
In either case, having the app tell a user that an ostensibly empty directory (drive) can't be used because it isn't empty is bound to cause some confusion and frustration. At the very least, a better error message would be useful.
Maybe this can be changed, but the error message has been there for a year and your the first to post confusion/frustration with its message. You might be the first to try to move it to the root of a drive. I'll let the developers voice their opinion about the possibility of changing the message.

Good Luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-13-2011 at 02:09 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote