View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 02:11 AM   #4
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
What's going on here? What format should I really be using if I want a good experience across the board in a reasonably future-proof way?
Currently the best bet seems to be a computer.

All the e-book readers I've checked out have been overpraised, overpriced, restrictive and under-featured. On the other hand small netbooks and tablet PCs can run whatever software and formats that you choose to instal.

I have several devices (including an e-ink reader that does an OK though limited job on plain texts). The ones that work best for me are a light 10" netbook, and a heavier 12" touch-screen tablet computer - because they both run whatever software and formats that I choose to instal. They also allow me to do all my other daily reading on the same device - i.e. online newspapers, magazines, forums, blogs, reference sites, PDFs, etc.

As computers get smaller and lighter I can see less and less reason to own a small greyish gizmo that runs only a fraction of what I need. My netbook cost approximately the same as the e-ink reader but is many times more versatile.

Of course, some people will have perfectly good reasons not to go that way, but if versatility is a priority then it might be worth considering. Something like the Asus 91 MT that jswinden describes in detail on this thread might be worth a look. He compares in to the 5 or 6 e-readers he's owned. Click on the link below:

Netbook as a Viable Ebook Reader Option

Cheers,

Chris
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote